Charlie Daniels 1936 - Singer (Charlie Daniels Band)
- 1793 - Eli Whitney applied for a patent for his cotton gin.
- 1886 - The Statue of Liberty was dedicated in New York Harbor by U.S. President Cleveland. The statue weighs 225 tons and is 152 feet tall. It was originally known as "Liberty Enlightening the World."
- 1904 - The St. Louis Police Department became the first to use fingerprinting.
- 1922 - Benito Mussolini took control of the Italian government and introduced fascism to Italy.
- 1965 - The Gateway Arch along the waterfront in St. Louis, MO, was completed.