Franklin Pierce 1804 - 14th President of the United States
- 1835 - Henry Burden patented the horseshoe manufacturing machine.
- 1889 - The first jukebox made its debut in San Francisco, at the Palais Royale Saloon.
- 1943 - During World War II, U.S. forces seized control of Tarawa and Makin from the Japanese during the Central Pacific offensive in the Gilbert Islands.
- 1945 - The U.S. wartime rationing of most foods ended.
- 1985 - Larry Wu-tai Chin, a retired CIA analyst, was arrested and accused of spying for China. He committed suicide a year after his conviction.