James Agee 1909
- 1701 - Anders Celsius was born in Sweden. He was the inventor of the Celsius thermometer.
- 1934 - The U.S. bank robber George "Baby Face" Nelson was killed by FBI agents near Barrington, IL.
- 1963 - U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson delivered his first address to a joint session of Congress.
- 1970 - Pope Paul VI, visiting the Philippines, was attacked at the Manila airport by a Bolivian painter disguised as a priest.
- 1973 - The U.S. Senate voted to confirm Gerald R. Ford as vice president after the resignation of Spiro T. Agnew.
- 1991 - The UN Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution that led the way for the establishment of a UN peacekeeping operation in Yugoslavia.