Winston Churchill (Britain) 1874
- 1803 - Spain completed the process of ceding Louisiana to France.
- 1858 - John Landis Mason received a patent for the first pepper shaker with a screw-on cap.
- 1875 - A.J. Ehrichson patented the oat-crushing machine.
- 1939 - The Russo-Finnish War began when 20 divisions of Soviet troops invaded Finland.
- 1971 - ABC-TV aired "Brian's Song." The movie was about Chicago Bears' Brian Picolo and his friendship with Gale Sayers.
- 1993 - U.S. President Clinton signed into law the Brady Bill. The bill required a five-day waiting period for handgun purchases and background checks of prospective buyers.