Rudyard Kipling 1865 - Short-story writer
- 1853 - The United States bought about 45,000 square miles of land from Mexico in a deal known as the Gadsden Purchase.
- 1903 - About 600 people died when fire broke out at the Iroquois Theater in Chicago, IL.
- 1922 - The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) was formed.
- 1924 - Edwin Hubble announced the existence of other galactic systems.
- 1953 - The first color TV sets went on sale for about $1,175.
- 1978 - Ohio State University fired Woody Hayes as its football coach, one day after Hayes punched Clemson University player Charlie Bauman during the Gator Bowl. Bauman had intercepted an Ohio pass.