Rudyard Kipling 1865 - Short-story writer
- 1853 - The United States bought about 45,000 square miles of land from Mexico in a deal known as the Gadsden Purchase.
- 1903 - About 600 people died when fire broke out at the Iroquois Theater in Chicago, IL.
- 1922 - The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) was formed.
- 1924 - Edwin Hubble announced the existence of other galactic systems.
- 1953 - The first color TV sets went on sale for about $1,175.
- 1978 - Ohio State University fired Woody Hayes as its football coach, one day after Hayes punched Clemson University player Charlie Bauman during the Gator Bowl. Bauman had intercepted an Ohio pass.
Post a Comment