Telly Savalas 1924
- 1908 - In New York City, the Sullivan Ordinance was passed. It made smoking in public places by women illegal. The measure was vetoed by Mayor George B. McClellan Jr. two weeks later.
- 1915 - The first Kiwanis club was formed in Detroit, MI.
- 1924 - Soviet leader Vladimir Ilyich Lenin died. Joseph Stalin began a purge of his rivals for the leadership of the Soviet Union.
- 1954 - The Nautilus was launched in Groton, CT. It was the first atomic-powered submarine. U.S. First Lady Mamie Eisenhower broke the traditional bottle of champagne across the bow.
- 1977 - U.S. President Carter pardoned almost all Vietnam War draft evaders.
- 1980 - Gold was valued at $850 an ounce.
- 1998 - A former White House intern said on tape that she had an affair with U.S. President Clinton.