Desmond Morris 1928
- 1848 - James W. Marshall discovered a gold nugget at Sutter's Mill in northern California. The discovery led to the gold rush of '49.
- 1908 - In England, the first Boy Scout troop was organized by Robert Baden-Powell.
- 1922 - Christian K. Nelson patented the Eskimo Pie.
- 1935 - Krueger Brewing Company placed the first canned beer on sale in Richmond, VA.
- 1972 - The U.S. Supreme Court struck down laws that denied welfare benefits to people who had resided in a state for less than a year.
- 2003 - The U.S. Department of Homeland Security began operations under Tom Ridge.