Eduard Shevardnadze 1928 - President of Georgia
- 1858 - Mendelssohn’s "Wedding March" was presented for the first time at the wedding of the daughter of Queen Victoria and the Crown Prince of Prussia.
- 1915 - In New York, Alexander Graham Bell spoke to his assistant in San Francisco, inaugurating the first transcontinental telephone service.
- 1924 - The 1st Winter Olympic Games were inaugurated in Chamonix in the French Alps.
- 1959 - In the U.S., American Airlines had the first scheduled transcontinental flight of a Boeing 707.
- 1971 - Maj. Gen. Idi Amin led a coup that deposed Milton Obote and became president of Uganda.
- 1981 - The 52 Americans held hostage by Iran for 444 days arrived in the United States and were reunited with their families.
- 1999 - In Louisville, KY, man received the first hand transplant in the United States.