Thomas Paine 1737
- 1850 - Henry Clay introduced in the Senate a compromise bill on slavery that included the admission of California into the Union as a free state.
- 1886 - The first successful petrol-driven motorcar, built by Karl Benz, was patented.
- 1963 - Britain was refused entry into the EEC.
- 1997 - America Online agreed to give refunds to frustrated customers under threat of lawsuits across the country. Customers were unable to log on after AOL offered a flat $19.95-a-month rate.
- 1999 - The U.S. Senate delivered subpoenas for Monica Lewinsky and two presidential advisers for private, videotaped testimony in the impeachment trial.