Dame Vera Lynn 1917
- 1792 - In Paris, the Legislative Assembly approved the use of the guillotine.
- 1852 - Harriet Beecher Stowe’s book "Uncle Tom’s Cabin," subtitled "Life Among the Lowly," was first published.
- 1854 - The Republican Party was organized in Ripon, WI. About 50 slavery opponents began the new political group.
- 1886 - The first AC power plant in the U.S. began commercial operation.
- 1897 - The first intercollegiate basketball game that used five players per team was held. The contest was Yale versus Pennsylvania. Yale won by a score of 32-10.
- 1899 - At Sing Sing prison, Martha M. Place became the first woman to be executed in the electric chair. She was put to death for the murder of her stepdaughter.
- 1933 - The first German concentration camp was completed at Dachau.
- 1991 - The U.S. forgave $2 billion in loans to Poland.
Post a Comment