Vincent Van Gogh 1853
- 1822 - Florida became a U.S. territory.
- 1842 - Dr. Crawford W. Long performed the first operation while his patient was anesthetized by ether
- 1858 - Hyman L. Lipman of Philadelphia patented the pencil.
- 1867 - The U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia for $7.2 million dollars.
- 1870 - The 15th amendment, guaranteeing the right to vote regardless of race, was passed by the U.S. Congress.
- 1939 - The comic book "Detective Comics #27" appeared on newstands. This comic introduced Batman.
- 1950 - The invention of the phototransistor was announced.
- 1964 - "Jeopardy" debuted on NBC-TV.
- 1981 - U.S. President Ronald Reagan was shot and wounded in Washington, DC, by John W. Hinckley Jr. Two police officers and Press Secretary James Brady were also wounded.