Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1859 - Author of Sherlock Holmes detective novels
- 1849 - Abraham Lincoln received a patent for the floating dry dock.
- 1872 - The Amnesty Act restored civil rights to Southerners.
- 1892 - Dr. Washington Sheffield invented the toothpaste tube.
- 1939 - Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini signed a military alliance between Germany and Italy known as the "Pact of Steel."
- 1947 - The Truman Doctrine was enacted by the U.S. Congress to appropriate military and economic aid Turkey and Greece.
- 1964 - U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson outlined his goals for his "Great Society."
- 1977 - Janet Guthrie set the fastest time of the second weekend of qualifying, becoming the first woman to earn a starting spot in the Indianapolis 500 since its inception in 1911.
- 1992 - Johnny Carson hosted NBC's "Tonight Show" for the last time. He had been host for nearly 30 years. Jay Leno took over the job three days later.
Post a Comment