Gilbert Keith Chesterton 1874 - Writer of philosophy, ontolory, poetry
- 1765 - Patrick Henry denounced the Stamp Act before Virginia's House of Burgesses.
- 1849 - A patent for lifting vessels was granted to Abraham Lincoln.
- 1912 - Fifteen women were dismissed from their jobs at the Curtis Publishing Company in Philadelphia, PA, for dancing the Turkey Trot while on the job.
- 1953 - Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay became first men to reach the top of Mount Everest.
- 1990 - Boris Yeltsin was elected president of the Russian republic by the Russian parliament.
- 2001 - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that disabled golfer Casey Martin could use a cart to ride in tournaments.
- 2015 - The Obama administration removed Cuba from the U.S. terrorism blacklist. The two countries had severed diplomatic relations in January of 1961.