Fred Allen 1894
- 1870 - E.J. DeSemdt patented asphalt.
- 1884 - Dr. John Harvey Kellogg patented "flaked cereal."
- 1900 - U.S. troops arrived in Peking to help put down the Boxer Rebellion.
- 1902 - The Boer War ended between the Boers of South Africa and Great Britain with the Treaty of Vereeniging.
- 1907 - The first taxis arrived in New York City. They were the first in the United States.
- 1913 - The 17th Amendment went into effect. It provided for popular election of U.S. senators.
- 1947 - Communists seized control of Hungary.
- 1955 - The U.S. Supreme Court ordered that all states must end racial segregation "with all deliberate speed."
- 1977 - The trans-Alaska oil pipeline was finished after 3 years of construction.