Miguel de Cervantes 1547
- 1789 - A regular army was established by the U.S. War Department with several hundred men.
- 1951 - The first network football game was televised by CBS-TV in color. The game was between the University of California and the University of Pennsylvania.
- 1953 - "Make Room for Daddy" premiered on ABC-TV.
- 1960 - "My Three Sons" debuted on ABC-TV.
- 1982 - In Chicago, IL, seven people died after taking capsules of Extra-Strength Tylenol that had been laced with cyanide. 264,000 bottles were recalled.
- 2008 - The Dow Industrial Average lost 777 points. It was the largest one-day decline to date. The drop came after the U.S. House of Representatives had voted down a $700 billion bank bailout plan.