Agatha Christie 1890
- 1857 - Timothy Alder earned a patent for the typesetting machine.
- 1909 - Charles F. Kettering applied for a patent on his ignition system. His company Delco (Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company) later became a subsidiary of General Motors.
- 1923 - Oklahoma was placed under martial law by Gov. John Calloway Walton due to terrorist activity by the Ku Klux Klan. After this declaration national newspapers began to expose the Klan and its criminal activities.
- 1928 - Alexander Fleming discovered the antibiotic penicillin in the mold Penicillium notatum.
- 1940 - The German Luftwaffe suffered the loss of 185 planes in the Battle of Britain. The change in tide forced Hitler to abandon his plans for invading Britain.
- 1959 - Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev arrived in the U.S. to begin a 13-day visit.
- 1993 - The FBI announced a new national campaign concerning the crime of carjacking.