Chaim Herzog (Israel) 1918
- 1787 - The Constitution of the United States of America was signed by delegates at the Constitutional Convention.
- 1862 - The Battle of Antietam took place during the American Civil War. More than 23,000 men were killed, wounded, or missing. The Rebel advance was ended with heavy losses to both armies.
- 1911 - The first transcontinental airplane flight started. It took C.P. Rogers 82 hours to fly from New York City to Pasadena, CA.
- 1937 - At Mount Rushmore, Abraham Lincoln's face was dedicated.
- 1939 - The Soviet Union invaded Poland. Germany had invaded Poland on September 1.
- 1962 - U.S. space officials announced the selection of Neil A. Armstrong and eight others as new astronauts.
- 1966 - "Mission Impossible" premiered on CBS-TV.