Samuel Johnson 1709
- 1709 - The creator of the first dictionary of the English language, Samuel Johnson, was born in England.
- 1759 - The French formally surrendered Quebec to the British.
- 1789 - Alexander Hamilton negotiated and secured the first loan for the United States. The Temporary Loan of 1789 was repaid on June 8, 1790 at the sum of $191,608.81.
- 1947 - The United States Air Force was established as a separate military branch by the National Security Act.
- 1981 - A museum honoring former U.S. President Ford was dedicated in Grand Rapids, MI.
- 1997 - Ted Turner, U.S. Media magnate, announced that over the next ten years he would give $1 billion to the United Nations. (he never fulfilled his promise)